You see, most kids eat a lot anyway. They have to have energy going into their little bodies to power them along. But Sweet Pea on the other hand... he's a bottomless pit! How could I give him a snack that would sustain him without serving him "lunch" all over again? Well, it only took a couple of weeks, but I found some afternoon snacks that fit the bill for my picky eater! These wholesome goodies leave my big boy feeling satisfied after a day of reading and counting!
Sweet Pea's Favorite After School Snacks:
- Apple Moons: Core and slice a Gala apple in half. Proceed to cut each half into 8 slices. In a small bowl, pour 2 tbsp peanut butter (or sun butter). In another bowl, pour 3 tbsp homemade (or store bought) granola. Dip each slice in the peanut butter, then the granola. Serve and enjoy!
- Banana Burrito: Spread 2 tbsp peanut butter (or sun butter) on a whole wheat tortilla. Add slices of banana and drizzle with honey. Roll it up and enjoy!
- Mommy's Movie Theater Popcorn: This is our "Fun Day Friday" snack! Serve up about 2 cups of fresh popcorn and drizzle with a little olive oil and a dash of kosher salt. (This tastes just like movie theater popcorn!). Sprinkle with a little dry ranch seasoning and enjoy! (My favorite is mixing ranch seasoning with chili powder!)
- Black Bean Quesadilla: Sprinkle about 2-3 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle a few black beans on top of the cheese. Microwave flat for approximately 15 seconds until the cheese is nice and melted. Fold over and cut into 4 triangles. Enjoy!
- Yogurt Parfait: Layer Greek yogurt, fresh berries and granola in a bowl. Slap on a bib and let him go to town!
- Turkey and Apple Wraps: Core and slice a Gala or Granny Smith apple in half. Proceed to cut each half into 8 slices. Top each slice with a thin slice of cheddar cheese. Take 2 slices of deli turkey. Cut each slice into 3 long strips. Wrap each apple/cheese set with one strip of turkey. Serve these wraps with 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard and 1/4 tsp honey mixed together in a small bowl. (The remaining 2 apple slices are a "chef's treat" for mommy!)
**Note: Be sure to make enough for yourself! My favorite part about snack time is sharing it with Sweet Pea!