Well, recently during a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting, we did a "craft" where we made our own instant oatmeal! BINGO!! I don't know why I never thought to do it before. And the bonus, it is exponentially cheaper to make these packets myself than it is to purchase them from the store... plus I know what's in it! As far as the flavors, if I take the time to prep my ingredients ahead of time, we can have just as many flavors as the boxed version... plus more! Here's how to do it...
- 1 container instant oats/quick cook oats
- 1 box snack-sized plastic baggies (i.e. Ziploc)
- Brown sugar, maple syrup or honey
- Dried fruit, cinnamon, etc.
- Put oats in ziploc baggie (1/4 cup for toddlers or 1/2 cup for older kids/adults). Note: For toddlers, you may also want to pulse the oats in a food processor a few times for a smoother consistency.
- Add 1 tbsp brown sugar and 2 tbsp dried fruit. If adding cinnamon or other spices, add about 1/8-1/4 tsp to the bag.
- Zip it up and keep them on your counter for a quick prepped breakfast during the week!
When you're ready to prepare your oatmeal, dump the packet into a bowl and add 3/4-1 cup milk or water and microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Stir and enjoy!
- Raisin-Nut: Add 1 tbsp raisins and 1 tbsp pecans or walnuts to bags.
- Apple-Cinnamon: Add 1 tbsp dried apple chips and 1/4 tsp cinnamon to bags.
- Peaches and Cream: When you're ready to prepare oatmeal, add 1/4 cup diced peaches to mix and prepare with milk or half-and-half.
- Blueberries and Cream: Add 1 tbsp dried blueberries to the baggie before sealing... OR... add 1/4 cup fresh blueberries when cooking. Prepare with milk or half-and-half.
- Spiced Carrot: When you're ready to prepare oatmeal, add 1/4 pureed steamed carrots and a touch of nutmeg to contents. Prepare with milk or water and enjoy!
Basic recipe courtesy of MyVegasMommy.com.
What other flavors of oatmeal do you enjoy?