Sweet Pea's favorite topping is dry ranch dressing mix. Mine is olive oil and Parmesan Cheese! Since fall is beginning to set in here, I think we'll try two other topping recipes that are in my "favorites" box as well!
This Friday, take some time to have your own Fun Day Friday with your child! It's a great way to release the stress from the week and kick-start the weekend!
Down Home BBQ Popcorn
This topping is soooooooo good! It really tastes like BBQ popcorn! You won't be able to put it down!
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning mix
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter, clarified (helps prevent sogginess; may use regular melted butter)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke*
- Combine brown sugar, Cajun seasoning mix, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder in a small bowl.
- To clarify butter, melt 1/4 cup butter. Cool slightly, then pour off the clear melted butter layer into a small bowl. Discard the opaque milky solids that remain behind.
- Stir the liquid smoke into the butter.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl, and drizzle it with butter mixture. Toss to coat the popcorn well.
- Sprinkle sugar-seasoning mixture over popcorn and toss to distribute evenly.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
*Liquid smoke can be found with the barbecue sauces/condiments section of large grocery stores.
Recipe courtesy of The Popcorn Board.
Apple Pie Popcorn
When you're craving Apple Pie, opt for a healthier option with this delicious alternative! It's sure to satisfy a sugar craving and you won't have to use a pie server!
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. allspice)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In small bowl, mix together spices and powdered sugar.
- Pour melted butter over popped popcorn.
- Dump sugar-spices over popcorn and shake to coat.
Make this recipe into a snack mix by adding 1/2 cup chopped dried apples and 1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans. It's a great after school snack or snack on the go!